Select an Image from gallery in ANDROID and show it in an ImageView.

Hi all
In this tutorial I will show you how to get an image from your phone gallery and show it in an imageview.
Here we use intents to open up the image gallery and get the image URI.
Here I am setting the image type as “image” to get only the images.
And on onActivityResult if the result is OK, then get the data using getData() function and converting the imageURI to the stringPath.
Then show the image in the imageview using setImageURI.

package pack.GetImage;

((Button) findViewById(R.id.Button01))
	            .setOnClickListener(new OnClickListener() {
	                public void onClick(View arg0) {
	                    Intent intent = new Intent();
	                    intent.setType("image/*");
	                    intent.setAction(Intent.ACTION_GET_CONTENT);
	                    startActivityForResult(Intent.createChooser(intent,"Select Picture"), SELECT_PICTURE);
	                }

img.setImageURI(selectedImageUri);
	        }
	    }
	}

public String getPath(Uri uri) {
	    String[] projection = { MediaStore.Images.Media.DATA };
	    Cursor cursor = managedQuery(uri, projection, null, null, null);
	    int column_index = cursor.getColumnIndexOrThrow(MediaStore.Images.Media.DATA);
	    cursor.moveToFirst();
	    return cursor.getString(column_index);
	}
}

Here is the main.xml file

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
</Button>
<ImageView android:id="@+id/ImageView01"
	android:layout_width="wrap_content"
	android:layout_height="wrap_content">
</ImageView>
</LinearLayout>

Please leave your valuable comments if you found this post useful.

34 thoughts on “Select an Image from gallery in ANDROID and show it in an ImageView.

1. idoudi

thank you very much for this tuto…:)))
    but I have a problem with the size of the imageView. It does not take the space I have reserved in xml file.
    can u help me please…

1. James

Can’ t really understand the question. I think the problem may be because your image resolution is too small to fit in the provided xml size.

2. remy215

You’re the man! I’ve spent hours trying to figure out why I could not open file based on value returned by data.getPath(). This is in fact because it is not the real file path and I was missing all of the projection & cursor stuff.
    Thanks a lot.
    Remy

3. Pingback: android: cannot load external pictures [solved] « Willing wheels

4. dabious

Code works perfect, however after selecting a photo if i click my add photo button again and select a different photo the app force closes . Any way to make this work?

5. dabious

Code works great but I am running into this issue.. external allocation too large for this process. Any tutorials on how to implement a down sampling to the images that works with your code above?

6. vineet

When your code is run then give same message un fortunately camera has stopped.
    please help me
    Please reply as soon as possible

1. James

Hey vineet, please check the logcat and paste here the reason for this problem. then only I can help, because this is a perfectly working code.

7. Christina

Hi, this works perfectly. But, how if i want to save it into database? can you show me the codes? i’ve spent days on this problems.
    Thanks in advance. Appreciate.

1. James

Don’t save the image to the database, but save it to the SDCARD or the application sandbox and save the corresponding path in the database.

8. Pitr

Hey this code is pretty cool
    But the only problem I have is
    “The images I take from camera of my application does not display by this image picker”
    Can you help me here?
    Thanx in advance

9. falah

hi.i have got error in this two line
    1.import android.provider.MediaStore;
    2. private static final int SELECT_PICTURE = 1;
    please help me…

1. James

You will get the path of the image just pass it with putExtra to the next activity and show it in the same way. that’s all.

10. jalil

Hi,
    From API 11
    the “managedQuery()” method is depricated
    so does any one have any isea as how the same program can be done for API 11 and above

Eclipse adiced to use CursorLoader
    but i dont know how to use it

11. Aisha

thanks for nice info. :)
    Ngg.. I’m a student and start learn android,
    I tried to use this code to take two different picture from gallery and display it into two different imageview.
    But it can’t work. I just success to display first image, but not for the second.
    Do you know why is it?

1. James

Are you setting in the imageview correctly. check once more. it should work with any image.please check your pic request id also.

12. sri

Hi, I have used this code to upload a picture in the header of list view in the Side Menu Navigation. It works fine but, when I close the application, the image disappears. Is there any solution for that?

13. gayathri

Hey there, i am having the same prob, which say the process has stopped. Cn i check if the ” Cursor cursor = managedQuery(uri, projection, null, null, null);” needs to be deprecated?

14. faffou

Thank you for this tuto, , it works successfully, but i need the same work for an xml file. I mean i want to open and read an xml file. the problem is that i can’t see my file in the galery. Have you any suggestion ??

1. James

Gallery is for images and videos only, not for other types of files.
      Install a file explorer app like ES file explorer and there going to right path you can see the XML file.

I think your question is “you want to select an xml file by opening a file explorer” Isn’t it?
      Then you have to make a file browser or Check in Google for Libraries like that.
      I am sure You will find more than one.

Thanks

1. faffou

The problem is that when i click to the button to browse my phone contents, i can see only: galerie, contacts, photos and the MP3 player, so how can i access to the other folders.
        Thinks