Hi all……

Here is a simple example of expandandable ListView in ANDROID.
But I am not going to explain any code, because everything is explained inside the java file.
Make sure to read it.

try{
    		 super.onCreate(savedInstanceState);
    		 setContentView(R.layout.main);

SimpleExpandableListAdapter expListAdapter =
			new SimpleExpandableListAdapter(
					this,
					createGroupList(), 				// Creating group List.
					R.layout.group_row,				// Group item layout XML.
					new String[] { "Group Item" },	// the key of group item.
					new int[] { R.id.row_name },	// ID of each group item.-Data under the key goes into this TextView.
					createChildList(),				// childData describes second-level entries.
					R.layout.child_row,				// Layout for sub-level entries(second level).
					new String[] {"Sub Item"},		// Keys in childData maps to display.
					new int[] { R.id.grp_child}		// Data under the keys above go into these TextViews.
				);
			setListAdapter( expListAdapter );		// setting the adapter in the list.

}catch(Exception e){
    		System.out.println("Errrr +++ " + e.getMessage());

/* Creating the Hashmap for the row */
	@SuppressWarnings("unchecked")
	private List createGroupList() {
	  	  ArrayList result = new ArrayList();
	  	  for( int i = 0 ; i < 15 ; ++i ) { // 15 groups........
	  		HashMap m = new HashMap();
	  	    m.put( "Group Item","Group Item " + i ); // the key and it's value.
	  		result.add( m );
	  	  return (List)result;

/* creatin the HashMap for the children */
    @SuppressWarnings("unchecked")
	private List createChildList() {

ArrayList result = new ArrayList();
    	for( int i = 0 ; i < 15 ; ++i ) { // this -15 is the number of groups(Here it's fifteen)
    	  /* each group need each HashMap-Here for each group we have 3 subgroups */
    	  ArrayList secList = new ArrayList();
    	  for( int n = 0 ; n < 3 ; n++ ) {
    	    HashMap child = new HashMap();
    		child.put( "Sub Item", "Sub Item " + n );
    		secList.add( child );
    	 result.add( secList );
    	return result;
    public void  onContentChanged  () {
    	System.out.println("onContentChanged");
	    super.onContentChanged();
    /* This function is called on each child click */
    public boolean onChildClick( ExpandableListView parent, View v, int groupPosition,int childPosition,long id) {
    	System.out.println("Inside onChildClick at groupPosition = " + groupPosition +" Child clicked at position " + childPosition);
    	return true;
    }

/* This function is called on expansion of the group */
    public void  onGroupExpand  (int groupPosition) {
    	try{
    		 System.out.println("Group exapanding Listener => groupPosition = " + groupPosition);
    	}catch(Exception e){

android:textSize="20px"
         android:textColor="@drawable/blue"
         android:textStyle="normal"
         android:layout_width="320px"
         android:layout_height="wrap_content"/>

</LinearLayout>

The strings.xml (This file contains the string for the color that is used for text in the ListView)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<action android:name="android.intent.action.MAIN" />
                <category android:name="android.intent.category.LAUNCHER" />
            </intent-filter>
        </activity>
    </application>
</manifest>

Please leave your comments if the post was useful.
Follow me on facebook, twitter and google plus for more updates.

Download.

110 thoughts on “Expandable ListView in ANDROID using SimpleExpandableListAdapter, a simple example.

1. James Post author

Hello Haresh…..
    You can just make new project and copy and paste the code into their respective files.
    I have given the file names to copy on top of each code also.
    Additionally you need only an image named “bkg.png” or “bkg.jpg” in your drawable folder. that’s all……..
    If Still you couldn’t get it. Kindly leave a comment. We are here to help you.

1. James Post author

Hi JS….
      I think you can return another expandable Listview to create an n level tree in the following function by extending BaseExpandableListAdapter class..

public View getGroupView(int groupPosition, boolean isExpanded,
      View convertView, ViewGroup parent)

2. rajesh

hi,
    you created single row listview…for that you created the chaild list view…….but my problem is i want to make main listview with two rows…..how can i plz????

1. James Post author

@rajesh : i have explained this in one of the comments above (in reply to JS). Currently I am little busy in my company project. So I can’t produce a sample for you now.

3. Aagrah

Hii Haresh,
    Is there any way to customize the parent row of the list, I mean the row which is opening the child row(Group Item 1)?

4. John

Which API are you compiling against? I tried this with two emulator instances, one running Android 2.2 and the other with the Google APIs for 2.2 (both level 8). When loaded, all I get is a blank screen :(

1. James Post author

It will work with all API’s. I was using ANDROID 2.0 when I wrote it. Check the Logcat if you got any errors or not. Check whether you have copied everything perfectly. Drag and copy the code, don’t double click and copy.

1. James Post author

Hello wang_peng1, We have sent you the code. Please check your mail and leave us a comment.

5. ishan

thankz u very much..i got the project.and it works .u seems to be very help full. i have lot of problems with android..how can i ask .. post a comment or somethig else .please tell me.. :D

1. James Post author

Hi ishan,
      Post your doubts as comments….If we have time we will solve your problem for sure…..

1. James Post author

@padmanabhan : You can do whatever you like on group item click. There is a listener for group item in the program please check.

1. Jitendra

When we scroll the expandable list view then parent also scroll with child. I want to fix parent when we scroll child.

6. Neha

Hi,

Can you tell me how to drag the child items in list2, if we have xml which is divided into 2 lists, list1 & list2.We are displaying expandable list in list1 & want to drag the child items in list2.

Please tell me if u know.

Regards,
    Neha

7. sujs

Hi James,
    Can you please send me the code. How to get dynamic data onclick of group item, can u please give an hint.

Thank you.

8. Roman

Hello

thank you for this example. I am currently trying to use the ExpandableListView in an Activity which does not extends ExpandableListActivity. I want to create a Layout which is divided in two LinearLayouts. The inner one holds some textViews and images. And the outer one holds the ExpandableListView.

The application has one “StartActivity” but even before i open the Activity with the ExpandableListView the application crashes.

Do you have some simple code or tutorial for this? Would be great. Thanks in advance.

9. Kfir

Hi,

I’m also like to user an ExpandableListView in an Activity which is not ExpandableListActivity. I’m trying to create a layout which have expandable list view which act as multiple options list right beside regular button which suppose to start a test.
    How can I do that?
    Thanks in advanced.

1. James Post author

You can have an activity which expands ExpandableListActivity and add other views like buttons in that. No Problem.

10. Jyothi

How to show main items following subitems automatically (without clicking main item) using listview in android? If I use ExpandableListActivity, I need to click on the main item to see the subitems. I want to show mainitem following subitems at one instance(click evnt is not neede.When I run my application, I want both main item and subitems must be displayed on the emulator. how can i achieve this using listview? Please help me.

11. chris

Hello,
    Wow this is awesome,
    Can you please send me the full source code? have a nice day.

How to use ExpandableListActivity to open another activity?
    Please help me.

12. kent

this tutorial realy helps my project but i’m having problem putting images in group and child rows… id like to have little thumbnails beside the button.. can you please send me some samples?? and i samples that group and child are manualy made.. i cant edit it since it’s looped.. thanks in advance. please reply.. my deadline is friday

13. Dc

Tyvm for the useful posts,
    however it is not working on my computer, it suns fine and it says it was successful but i dont see screen like yours, all i see is my bkg pic, any idea?
    thx in advance

14. Kaushal

Hi,

This is really good tutorial and very helpful.

Can anyone have an idea to hide the default expand/collapse icon?

Thanks in advance,

15. Mufaddal

Hi,

How do we make multicolumn expandablelistview.

I added the things to the hashmap and also to the XML but no luck like the way it is described for ListView.

TY

1. Thomas

I think I know what you’re trying to do. I couldn’t find any documentation on doing this either, but I just kept trying different things and figured this out. My code is based on the code on this page so you should be able to figure it out.

First the java code:

//for each slqite column this create 4 subrow columns where my database column names are Item, QuantitySold, SoldPrice and SetPrice. This is done right before returning the child list.

for( int n = 0 ; n < mycursor.getCount(); n++ ) {

HashMap child = new HashMap();

child.put( "Sub Item", mycursor.getString(mycursor.getColumnIndex("Item")) );

child.put( "Sub Item1", mycursor.getString(mycursor.getColumnIndex("QuantitySold")) );

child.put( "Sub Item2", mycursor.getString(mycursor.getColumnIndex("SoldPrice")) );

child.put( "Sub Item3", mycursor.getString(mycursor.getColumnIndex("SetPrice")) );
      secList.add( child );
      mycursor.moveToNext();
      result.add( secList );
      return result;
      ———————-
      And here is my adapter formatting:

mAdapter = new SimpleExpandableListAdapter(this, createGroupList(),R .layout.expandable_list_item1,new String[] { "Group Item" }, new int[] { R.id.toprow_name }, createChildList(), R.layout.expandable_list_item2, new String[] {"Sub Item", "Sub Item1", "Sub Item2", "Sub Item3"}, new int[] { R.id.subrow_item, R.id.subrow_quantitysold, R.id.subrow_minprice, R.id.subrow_setprice});

———————-
      Second my xml layout code (this is crap formatting, its 2:50am and I just figured this out so I havn't written in proper xml format).

That should do it!

1. Thomas

Oops, the website grabbed my xml code. I’ll try pasting it again, but basically its just 4 textviews with the id’s I mentioned above (subrow_item, subrow_quantitysold…) with a linear layout that is set to horizontal. I specify the textview width=20dp, but height is set to wrap_content.

16. Andik

Hi… nice tutorial…
    I’ve searched so many tutorials and examples about usability of expandablelistview, but I think this is the most obvious I’ve ever read…
    May I have the code please… can you send me the complete code via my email: top_x_classix@yahoo.com

Thanks…

17. Carlos

Hi, the tutorial is great, I got a fight of two days with tutorials lists and more lists. Now I have a couple of questions that I’m fighting with your code.
    I can not find how to change the bottom of each row according to a condition such as: if (a == 2) row.setBackgroundDrawable (R.drawable.team) elserow.setBackgroundDrawable (R.drawable.only).
    The other is that I need to put the first subitem is fixed, ie
    ITEM TITLE
    Item description: blabla n No. tests n Rating: bla bla
    item team1
    item team2

the explanation is that I have the title of the race that is first rate, once deployed
    I have the description of the race so many items and then another level as teams.

Sorry for the long text Thanks

18. vicky

hey..I’ve downloaded the project…but i got error s on the expandablelist.java…do i need to change anything or add anything to the code to make it working?

Thanks

19. Saumya

Hi… Am retrieving data as string from data base to android like name ,address, phone. This is dynamic pull from database i want it to display on android in a list but the activity should not extend ListAcitvity as I do have edit text on same screen. I want to display the name on list and when clicked rest of the details should come , am not able to display the list pls do help me .

1. James Post author

You can simply change the ListActivity and change the way ListView is referenced. If it is a ListActivity the ListView in the xml has the id = “@android:list” or something. You can simply change this to give ur id and change the way adapter is setup. thats all.

20. mafia wars

I’ll right away snatch your rss as I can not to find your email subscription hyperlink or newsletter service. Do you have any? Please allow me recognise in order that I may subscribe. Thanks.

21. playfred

Helpful information. Fortunate me I found your web site by chance, and I’m stunned why this coincidence did not happened in advance! I bookmarked it.

22. meena

hi………..
    This is very helpful for me. because i am new in android development. i am developing Android Digital menu system application.i want one help.
    how to put icons in front of the expanablelist view and how to view the list items like image format…….. please give the sample program…….
    Advance Thanks for our responce……

1. James Post author

Did you download the sample project I provided below the post, there you can change the adapter for the list.

23. linhlt

I want to create a multi level list view. I just want to do a simple example about this. Just two class, one class extends Activity, one class extends BaseExpandableListAdapter. I want to know how to implement the class extends BaseExpandableListAdapter to return an expandable list view for multilevel

24. Pingback: ListView with Sections in android. | Coderz Heaven

25. Pingback: ClassCastException: java.util.HashMap with android SimpleExpandableListAdapter | Software development support, software risk,bugs for bugs, risk analysis,

26. Rachelle

Awesome tutorial thanks!! anyone who uses this don’t forget to put the colours in the string.xml file (I’m not the best at reading and that cost me a lot of unnecessary debugging) :)

27. Shrey

I found it very useful but only thing i found problem was with getting values at the position where i am clicking..

28. Steve

This has been a great help. The only thing I’m not seeing is how the adapter gets linked to the list view with the name you gave it.

29. krishnaveni

Hi the above tutorial is very helpful for me..thanks for giving this nice tutorial…but i have one doubts… how is creating 2 groups in this example for separate details.For eg:
    Group name:
    OrderInfo,CustomerInfo.
    Childname(OrderInfo): payment_method
    Childname(CustomerInfo): name,email.
    How is to do.

30. krishnaveni

Hi i have to created different groups in this example.but i can’t develop different child list is placed in different formats.please refer my code and give me solutions.now i have to created 2 groups in my code.
    I need to place “payment_method” and “total” inside first group,and firstname and lastname is place in second group
    (e.g:Groupname:OrderInfo,customerInfo,
    Childname(OrderInfo):payment_method,total,
    Childname(CustomerInfo):firstname,lastname).
    My code can placed Childname(OrderInfo) inside OrderInfo group, but i wish to need if i have to click customerInfo group means the firstname,lastname also displayed customerInfo group.

Here first child value is placed first group is successfully finished…but i can’t do place the second child value is placed second group.please help me.how is to do.
    The code is here:http://pastie.org/4520473

31. Pingback: android expanlistview arrow : Android Community - For Application Development

32. Pingback: android expandlistview arrow : Android Community - For Application Development